Shyla Dawn Davis: Haverhill's Own Sappho

Leave a Comment
Jacob Valenti


Shyla Davis, 17 year old senior and Creative Writing Club poet laureate, recently got nominated for an award and scholarship from National Poetry Quarterly. She sent in her poem, “Sonnet 18 Part Two,” which is a response to Shakespeare’s famous “Sonnet 18.” This poem is known for the line we all use on Valentine’s Day: “Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day?/Thou art more lovely and more temperate:” I recently spoke to Shyla about winning the award, writing, and her future in writing.

Tell me about the award that you are nominated for and what happens now?
“I don’t find out if I actually won the scholarship until October. I got selected as one of like the top 25 people in the country, I’m going to be being published in their quarterly magazine. They then have a final round of judges and we find out October 2016 who won the scholarship, I think they do that so that kids who apply to it can use the money when they’re in college.”

How did you hear about it and apply?
“I went on a crazy scholarship rampage and looked up all kinds of scholarships, and I signed up for like five or six different ones that I was eligible for. That one showed up on one of the matches on one of the scholarship websites I was on.”

Why do you like writing? When did you start? 
“Well I was encouraged to start writing several years ago when I got dragged to the Creative Writing Club.”
Was it by your handsome ex-boyfriend?
“Well it was by my ex-boyfriend...I like to write because, I feel like it's a really great way to get things out, because I have a lot of emotions, I’m a very emotional person, so I feel it’s a good way to release my emotions without being a jerk or crying, which I still do but writing does help with that, and I don’t know, it’s fun to let all of that imagination out.”

Tell me about the poem, why did you choose sonnet 18?
“So last year in English class, we were given an assignment to write a sonnet, we had to include all kinds of literary devices and it had to be a sonnet and meet all of the requirements. I felt like writing a response to Sonnet 18, and we had read that in class. So, I wrote it for my English class and I had all kinds of awesome stuff and I really love it, so I thought it was perfect for the scholarship. I thought it was a really good example of all that I can do.”
So it was originally an assignment but it spawned into something you really loved.
“Yes exactly, and I was really happy that our teacher, you know kind of forced us to write it because it made me realize I can really get a lot out of my writing.”

Do you want to pursue a career in writing?
“No I do not want to pursue a career in writing. The only reason I don’t want to pursue a career in writing is that I don’t think it is a stable career. It will definitely be a hobby that I will continue, I will do it in my free time wherever I feel I want to, however it really wouldn’t be reasonable financially to only be a writer. So, if I end up publishing any of my works and getting profits from my writing that’s fine and dandy, but it’s not a goal of mine. I just do it for myself.”

Thank you Miss Davis!
“You’re welcome Mr. Valenti!”

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig